Calvary Celebrates 160th Anniversary
In 1857, Daniel & Helen Craig Blake, proprietors of a stagecoach inn and way station just north of Fletcher, gathered neighbors in their home, spearheading the founding of Calvary Church. They donated the land and led the campaign to erect the first building. Using plans based on drawings of Sir Christopher Wren, a 16th century-style building was planned; clay was dug, kilns built, and bricks were fashioned by hand. The building was completed, beautifully sited on a hill and complete with a bell tower. The Rt. Rev. Thomas Atkinson, bishop of North Carolina, made the long journey from Raleigh for the consecration on 21 August 1859.